Friday, January 19, 2007

Opposing the Opposing of the Opposing POV

DeJesus, Brown, Sanders, Gathright, Huber, Costa, Meier, Teahen

There are a few questionable moves that I am waiting for DM to make. One involves Gload. I highly doubt we see too much of Gload in the OF this year, AS LONG AS people manage to stay healthy. Just like we'll see (hopefully) very little of Esteban German out there this year. His play in the OF is a joke. I'm seeing a bench of 2-3 semi-versatile IF (Gonzalez (SS), German (2B, 3B), and Gload (1B, maybe OF). Not only that, but if Gordon goes down with an injury, who do you think we'll see starting, German or Teahen at 3B? I think the answer is obvious. In that case, MAYBE, you see Gload in the OF.

Having said all of this, the ONLY reason I question the Gload trade at this point is b/c the OF really is stacked. I waited (and assumed, I know, the word ASS is in assume) for a general release or trade of one of our many OF. B/c at this point, one of them would be an asset coming off the bench, and if this team goes with 4 bench players, well, that seems ripe for disaster... - OR - ... they release Costa b/c I believe he is out of Minor League Options, which means he needs to make the team or can be taken by another squad.

I assumed it would be Brown or Sanders or Sweeney (yeh right, but stay with my thinking here), Brown would be traded b/c he is a semi-valuable commodity, hits well and has a strong arm. But we gave him a pretty good 1-year contract so it appears like we are sticking with him. In that case, I had hoped Sweeney would be traded for some junk prospects, thereby making Brown a full-time DH. Brown has a strong arm, but his defensive skill are lacking, and though his #s are really good enough to be a full-time DH, the man is rarely hurt. So I'll take his production over Sweeney's potential if healthy.

Sanders obviously Ks too much to be a viable DH and he is too old and... "INJURY PRONE" to play OF, therefore, I assumed we'd have a trade for junk prospects and take part of his salary OR, release him. So far, it looks like an OF of Dejesus (back in CF if I'm not mistaken, which tells me Gathie may be back in the minors for this year w/o a strong Spring b/c he has options left), Sanders, Brown, and Teahen (unless the media is getting carried away and Gordon will stay in AAA). Leaving out Costa, who has potential to hit, though has some miscues in the OF. Maybe putting Gathie in AAA would be a good thing, but his potential to come off the bench and play above average defense and awesome speed would be missed at the major league level. Maybe they believe that with Gordon, Teahen, Berroa, and Dejesus (if the man finally figures out how to steal), we'll have enough speed to put Gathie in AAA for a year until Brown and/or Sanders' contracts run out.

Therefore, unless some of our guys have awesome springs (and become tradeable), I'm not sure how this OF will shake out.

IN OTHER NEWS-

I disagree that the Bengals were better than us and deserved it more for 2 reasons: A) they did go all Tony Romo and fudge a kick in Denver. Though I believe it would have tied the game (could be wrong, it was Xmas Eve) putting them into OT, which means, they still had a 50/50 chance of losing; and B) we played them our first game of the season. Kansas Citians realized we had no idea what we'd get from this team early on b/c of new personnel and retired personnel. Most I talked to and heard on the radio thought this team wouldn't find it's stride until 4-8 games into the season. Cincy was coming off the playoffs and a healthy Palmer, so it wasn't surprising they beat us; plus Trent was injured and the Damon Huard was probably overmatched during his first game. But while the Chiefs kept hanging in there, Cincy kept playing bad games, getting in off the field incidences (which may or may not have hurt them, I don't know how that affects the locker room), but everyone heard and saw Ocho tool-o having spiteful words towards his QB, Offensive Coordinator, and Coach. This happened all season. Our nasty comments from LJ occurred the 2nd to last game of the season and then they rebounded and beat the Jags.

Cincy did not deserve to be in the playoffs.

Now, I'd like to revise my previous statements (though I'm not sure I made them anyway). I am NOT saying the Chiefs are better than any of these teams, only that they DESERVED their PLAYOFF spot. The Chiefs were clearly the worst team to (talent-wise) to get into the playoffs, but they did b/c other teams faltered when the Chiefs did not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home