Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A Response

Ok, so I'm diggin' the amount of posting going on and I will do my best to step it up. That being said, I'm here to respond to the last couple of posts... not negatively, just to get my thoughts out there (isn't that what a blog is about anyway?!?!?).

First: This is great news for KC (talking Monarchs here [I'll refer to the Penguins as the Monarchs until I here for sure they're staying in Pitt]). I would love to have a hockey franchise to root for. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a wealth of hockey knowledge, but the sport has always intrigued me. I will also say that hockey has the best, most intense playoffs of any sport (which is really saying something if you know how much of a ravenous baseball fan I am) and by FAR the best trophy. Which only makes the Monarchs in KC that much cooler, because they are looking to be the team to beat in the next three years (and barring major trade/injury should remain there for as long as they want). The fact that a deal has not been reached and that everyone is pushing for a final say this week only makes me believe that KC has a good chance at this franchise. WOOHOO for me. Oh and a side note, I know that my friends have said I'm an idiot and they would ridicule me and make fun of me, but I'm going to get a Monarchs jersey with number 22 and O'Neil on the back... I still say that's an awesome way to show appreciation to the greatest man to call KC home (isn't that why they're gonna name the team Monarchs?).

Second: I completely agree about the GM thing. Riccardi is an idiot and an asshole, and Moore made the right move (and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Royals fan... although I'm sure that has influenced my beliefs a little). The one thing that my cohort in crime did not mention, however, is a very important part of the decision (if he did mention this then I must have been interupted while reading). One of the biggest reasons for taking a job like the Royals and rejecting a job like the Red Sox is the fact that you can't fail. Ok, that sonds wrong, but hear me out. Say you take the job in Boston... that team is already playoff caliber and should not only make the playoffs but fight for the Series every year. That means if you don't make the playoffs you have failed (i.e. last year). It means that all the pressure to win is on the GM's shoulders, if they don't make that 1 move that catapults the team to a title they are a failure. Now, assume you take the job with the Royals... you can't look like a bad guy. All you have to do to look like a savior is get in the ballpark of a .500 season. If you can't turn the team around you're not a bad guy, you're not a failure... you just didn't turn a team around that, as far as MLB and the media are concerned, can't turn around. But if you win, if you make the playoffs, or (GASP) even the Series... you become a god among men, no bones about it, KC and every analyst in the history of sports will view you as the second coming of Christ. Now, I'm not saying that Moore took this job for that reason, he seems much too humble for that, and he's too hungry to win to settle for a .500 season. But the fact that it's a no lose situation had to help in the decision to try the role of GM for the first time (hopefully the only time [in other words, I hope Moore stays with KC for the long haul]); and it should be, every potential GM should heed Moore's example. Especially now that players can't be blamed for bad performances... it's the coach or the GM (which is an entire other blog in and of itself).

brandx[enator] - who has yet to play OOTP but can't wait to try his hand at being a GM... man I need that game!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home