Monday, August 07, 2006

Here's to our future

So the Royals finally signed Luke Hochevar. I am a little skeptical, however. We're giving this kid a lot of money for someone who hasn't proven themselves at all in any minor league system. This kid is going to make up to $7 million dollars... $7 million. Heads up... anyone who says we need to get rid of Sweeney because he's eating up payroll needs to be saying the same about Hochevar. Sweeney has at least shown that when he's healthy (really healthy... I have my doubts about the beginning of this season) that he can out hit just about anyone in the league. Hochevar has shown that he can strikeout Northern Leaguers... wow, I am amazed (notice the sarcasm so thick that it's literally dripping into my next few sentences). I was honestly a little pissed when I heard that we had drafted this kid... I mean, he didn't sign last year with the Dodgers because they wouldn't offer him enough money. I say leave him... let him continue to light up the Northern League, show players that their B.S. about not getting paid what they're worth ain't gonna fly anymore. I'm so sick of their whinning... 'but he's getting $4 million a year and I'm hitting 4 more home runs a year - boo, hoo, hoo... woes me...' It bogus, I'm sorry, I can't feel bad for a player who makes that kind of money... they are entertainers. It's not like they're job is essential to the survival of the nation, and yet, they expect to get paid for it. What happened to working your ass off through the minors and even when you got to the majors just to prove yourself to the fans, your coaches, and your teammates. I can't wait until some player comes up to the majors and lights it up... I mean does everything: .330, 40hr, 150rbi, 30sb, phenomenal defense, runs out every hit regardless of how far he'll be out by... and then demands that he get paid no more than $1 million, or even league minimum. Or, if he gets more he donates all but what he needs to live comfortably to charity. Just think how quickly the game would change. Ticket prices would drop drastically... concessions and merchandise too. God, it makes me want to cry I'm so happy. Anyway, I've gone off on a huge tangent here. Really, from everything I've heard and read, Hochevar is the real deal and could be competing for a starting job in the majors by the end of next season (he's going to start in AA). And, truthfully, I hope he is that good... because we really need our young guys to turn out if we have any hope for the future. Regardless, I still think that this is way to much money on someone who isn't proven. Look at how much success we've had in recent years with big prospect pitchers: Chris George, Dan Reichert, Zack Greinke, Colt Griffin, Mike Stodolka. And there's probably more that I've permanently blocked from my memory to keep me from collapsing and dying from a brain hemorhage. So here's to the hope that we aren't throwing money down the drain again... good luck Luke.

brandx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home