Monday, July 31, 2006

Deadline deals

I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of either of these deals. I suppose that dealing Matty Stairs for a younger pitcher is a good move. But, Matt was a good clubhouse presence - very productive as a backup 1B/4th OF'er - and pretty cheap. It bothers me that we dealt him for a 26 year old reliever (with good minor league stats I know) who has never pitched in the Bigs. But, I can deal with this trade.

The second move, sending Affeldt and Bautista to Colorado, comes across as a purge to me. A shot across the bow of Allard Baird; A final shot saying this is what I think of your talent. Dohmann is nothing, NOTHING. Shealy is a decent bat, I won't argue that. But, he's another young player without a real position. We're stockpiling DH's.....why? Affeldt had fallen on hard times and Bautista was yo-yo'd so much by the Royals organization that I'm not at all surprised he's had problems. But, Affeldt and Bautista are young and have a LOT of upside. Even if that upside is never reached, I wouldn't have made this second deal. If Shealy and Doughboy are all we could get for Affeldt and Bautista then Moore should have just hung up the phone and gone out to play a round of golf...instead of making a deal to spite Baird.

Just my .02

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home