Saturday, March 17, 2007

I know this isn't KC, but what a damn good story....

If you haven't already read this article by Jayson Stark, you need to.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2801377

I realize that this article is about a rival. But I also realize that this article is about a great human being, not just one of the best pitchers alive (maybe that I will see in my lifetime). I do however, feel that this article is important to read. It just goes to show the true nature of baseball, good and bad.

Firs, the bad. It shows how a small market team (Twins, Royals, Pirates, etc.) are completely hosed when it comes to talent. We may have the best talent in baseball, but at some point, no matter what, we will lose that talent to the "Big Boys" (Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, etc.). This is what is wrong with baseball. Santana says in the article that he loves being a Twin, he loves everything about the team and the city, however; he also realizes the business of things and knows that he will not be a Twin much longer (without some sort of miracle). THIS SUCKS!!!!! I know that is comes down to money, and it is a player's choice of how much to take and the situation, but seriously, can anyone say that they would not take a $200 million contract for a team? I mean really!!! I can tell you if I was a great player, playing for the Royals, my hometown team, and free agency struck and I was offered that much money it would be a hard decision. So damn it, baseball needs to sack up and help the little guy, start real revenue sharing, get a REAL salary cap, not this penalization bulls*%t.

Ok, now for the good. This article shows that there are still good men, even GREAT men left in the sport. With all the damn steroid controversies, Barry Bonds being an a#*hole, and Juan Uribes killing men on his land, we needed something good to come from baseball. Johan Santana is one of the good, one of the best, and just a damn good person to boot. He wants to better? His goal is to better....not just as a player but a person. Wow, how often do you actually hear that from a professional athlete.

All I can say is that I am impressed. I just wish the league could be full of people like Santana, and not more like Bonds. Here's hoping the Twins get that miracle to keep Santana (even though that really kills us Royals fans) they deserve a guy like him. Shoot, every team needs a guy like him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home